A person’s childhood is often filled with meals and recipes that were passed down from previous generations. So how does culture influence your diet? The connection between culture and food lets us embrace each other’s heritage in a tasteful and respectful way. It’s natural to feel pride toward your family’s heritage, and many choose to share their traditional food as a way of doing that. Food acts as a portal into the various lifestyles and experiences, so it’s important to expand your palate with new flavors and foods as you expand your knowledge of the world. Continue reading to explore the many ways we incorporate culture into our menus.
As one of the most distinct cuisines from the United States, Cajun-styled foods are always ready to make a punch. Rooted in Louisianan culture, this Southern and French-inspired cuisine is known for its seasoned goodness and spicy flavors. Explore some of our Cajun favorites:
- Shrimp Boil: Nothing brings a crowd together more than a shrimp boil. Serve peel and eat shrimp alongside your choice of vegetables.
- BBQ Grilled Chicken: A Southern classic, barbecue chicken will fulfill even the pickiest of taste buds. Serve with your favorite local style of BBQ sauce to give a more native feel to your event’s menu.
- Cajun Rice: Pairs perfectly with any main dish. Add your choice of protein or vegetables to spice up this delicious staple.
- Black Eye Pea Salad: This simple dish has a zesty and refreshing taste. Customize this salad by adding your favorite fresh produce of the season. Pair this salad alongside your choice of flavorful protein and vegetables.
- Banana Pudding: A true Southern dessert, nothing feels more like home than a big bowl of banana pudding. Give your guests the sweetest experience by serving up this creamy treat.
Traditional Mexican foods are fresh, colorful, and full of rich spices and tradition. Each region of Mexico utilizes the ingredients and cooking styles that are local and passed down to them. The best part about these flavorful foods is that they are extremely customizable, easy to make and can feed a crowd of any size. Check out our fan-favorite Mexican dishes that are sure to be a hit at your next event:
- Grilled fajitas: A classic Mexican favorite, this dish is great for any event due to its endless customization. Pair your fajitas with your favorite type of meat or fish, alongside fresh vegetables such as peppers, onions, or mushrooms.
- Enchiladas: When it comes to enchiladas, anything is possible. Fill your corn tortillas with your choice of fillings and sauces that best fit your event and preference.
- Taco Bar: Having a taco bar at your event makes it easy for guests to get engaged and creative. Provide various meats and fish options, along with fresh produce and sauces. Guests can fill their tortilla to make any combination of taco that they want.
- Southwestern Cobb Salad: Adding Southwestern accents to a Cobb salad is a great way to spice up this traditional menu item. Use fresh produce of the season, as well as the protein of your choosing for a healthier and refreshing taste.
Because the demographic of Hawaii is rather diverse, this brings in an array of flavors from around the world. The tropical islands use fresh grown and caught ingredients straight from the vine and hook. From sweet to savory, the tropical cuisine does it all. Check out or Hawaiian-inspired menu items that your party guests will love to devour:
- Chicken Teriyaki: This tasty dish is perfect for your backyard luau. Pair with grilled pineapple and long-grained rice to give a tangier and more Hawaiian feel.
- Naked Pork: This savory protein is a simple yet fulfilling dish that your guests are bound to love. Serve this dish in whichever way you see fit, such lightly dusted with salt and pepper, or roasted in a brown sugary crust.
- Salmon Steak: This fresh dish is sure to make a splash at your next event. Serve alongside onion, parsley, garlic, and lemon juice to give a flavorful taste.
When it comes to Italian cuisine, simple and local ingredients are used to craft bold flavors as well as filling dishes. The combination of fresh produce and protein invigorate the taste buds while giving an unbeatable experience. Here are some of our crowd-favorite Italian-inspired menu items:
- Lasagna: This causal pasta dish is an easy menu item for any occasion. Customize your layered casserole with fresh produce such as basil or spinach and a cheese filling of your choosing. This dish can be served without Italian sausage to make it a vegetarian friendly dish.
- Chicken Parmesan: This Italian comfort food is a classic pleaser, and for good reason. This creamy and fulfilling dish is filled with fresh ingredients that give a wholesome yet delicious taste. Serve alongside a light soup or salad to highlight the savory flavors of the main dish.
- Garden Salad: This nutritious dish is great for adding a refreshing taste to a hardy Italian meal. This salad acts as a balance between the filling proteins and pastas that make up this cultural cuisine. Add your favorite vegetables, cheeses, and proteins to create your perfect dish! Use Italian dressing or any olive oil-based vinaigrette to bring out the regional tastes.
- Tiramisu: Have you left room for dessert? The Italian cuisine is known for its decadence, and that is perfectly exemplified with tiramisu. This espresso-infused dish brings together flavors of coffee, chocolate, and vanilla into a light and creamy dessert.
There is a special connection between food and culture. Each dish brings a special piece of heritage and various ways of living to the table. Embrace the beauty of worldly traditions by incorporating cultural cuisines into the menu of your next event!
Food feeds the soul, so it’s time to get searching. Nothing unites cultures more than cuisine, so turn your next event into a celebration of heritage and its corresponding foods. Let All Occasion Catering take care of all of your food service needs with its cultural menus and state-of-the-art service. We have over 20 years of experience in catering events of any kind and size. We also have licensed bar services available to take care of your bartending needs. Visit our blog to receive inspiration for your next event. And if you’re ready to book, contact AOC by visiting us online or giving us a call at (865) 521-1300.